Steps to minimize brusting after rhinoplasty
I was wondering if there are any steps you can take to minimize bruising after rhinoplasty. I heard you can get black eyes. Is there anything you can do before surgery and after to keep the bruising to a minimum?
There are several steps you can do before and after surgery to minimize bruising and swelling after rhinoplasty. Here are a list of these steps:
- Avoid aspirin at least 10 days before surgery.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications, such as Ibuprofen and Motrin, prior to surgery.
- Avoid a list of herbal supplements which may increase the risk of bruising/swelling before surgery. This list includes Gingko Biloba and St. John’s Wort. We provide a comprehensive list of these herbal supplements to avoid prior to your procedure.
- We recommend the use of certain herbal supplements, such as Arnica Montana, to minimize bruising and swelling. We provide instructions on the use of Arnica prior to your procedure. As well, Bromelain may minimize bruising and swelling. Bromelain is found in pineapples; you can obtain the benefit of Bromelain from eating pineapples and/or taking supplements of Bromelain.
- Minimize intake of alcohol prior to surgery.
- If you have a history of easy bruising, I may recommend some blood testing prior to surgery.
There are some techniques I use in the operating room to minimize bruising/swelling. We provide a dose of steroid medication through the IV to minimize swelling. As well, I place an ice-cold dressing on top of the nose immediately following surgery to not only assist in the placement of the dressing on top of the nose, but also to minimize bruising and swelling.
- Head of bed elevation minimizes the risk of bleeding, bruising and swelling. We encourage you to keep the head of bed elevated with a few pillows for one week after surgery.
- Avoidance of hot/spicy foods. These foods increase the risk of bruising and swelling. Rather, I recommend a cool, soft diet for one week after surgery.
- I recommend continued use of Arnica Montana in the days after surgery.
- Another homeopathic supplement that may minimize bruising/swelling is Traumeel. It is a combination of several supplements and it may assist in cartilage and bone healing. Since Traumeel contains Echinacea, an anti-inflammatory agent, which may increase bruising/swelling. Therefore, I instruct our patients to use Traumeel 2 days after surgery.