Otoplasty Post Instructions in Newport Beach and Beverly Hills
POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTOPLASTY (EAR RESHAPING) SURGERY
- Before your surgery:
- Purchase a headband to wear after surgery as instructed below. Please make certain the headband width covers most, if not all, of the ear structures.
- Fill out prescriptions and start taking the prescribed antibiotics the day before the procedure.
- After your surgery:
- Dr. Batniji will place a dressing around your head immediately after the surgery. Please keep this dressing in place until your follow up appointment. Dr. Batniji will remove the dressing for you on your follow up visit with him. Please bring your headband to the visit as Dr. Batniji will instruct you on how to place the headband on your head.
- Please wear the headband at all times for the first week after surgery.
- After the first week, please wear your headband at night for the next 5 weeks.
- You can shower on the second day after your surgery. Please avoid rubbing the back of the ears when showering as aggressive rubbing in these areas may disrupt the skin stitches and/or cause harm to the otoplasty result. Please use a gentle hair shampoo (such as Baby Shampoo) for the first week after surgery as other shampoos may irritate the skin stitches.
- Apply Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to the skin stitches behind the ears 3-4 times a day.
- The skin stitches behind the ears are dissolvable and usually dissolve on their own approximately 2 weeks after the procedure. If the skin stitches persist longer than 2 weeks, Dr. Batniji will remove the stitches for you.
- Avoid any contact sports or activity that may push or traumatize your ears for a minimum of 3 months following surgery.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at 949.650.8882 if you have any questions or concerns.