Rhinoplasty Post Instructions in Newport Beach and Beverly Hills
- You may have a nasal splint in place for one week. If you do have a nasal splint, you may shower. However, please avoid the water directly hitting the splint.
- You will need to clean the inside of the nostril with peroxide on a Q-tip 4 times a day. Then, apply a small amount of Vaseline ointment to each nostril. This will help prevent any crust and/or scab formation. If you have stitches at the base of the nose, these stitches will also need to be cleaned with peroxide on a Q-tip 4 times a day followed by application of Vaseline ointment over the stitches. Please start this process the day after your procedure..
- Your nose may ooze for the first few days after surgery. Please wear the nasal dressing (drip pad, aka moustache dressing) until it stops. Once the oozing has stopped, it is not necessary to wear the drip pad. Please do not wipe the bottom of your nose with a tissue.
- Avoid breathing through the nose during the first week.
- Use cold compresses as often as possible during the first 48 hours following surgery. You may develop more swelling and bruising on the 2nd to 3rd post-operative day. Keep you head elevated for the first week as this helps minimize swelling, bruising, and bleeding.
- Starting on the 3rd post-operative day, we recommend you start gently sniffing saline nasal sprays 2-3 times a day in each nostril.
- Do not take narcotic pain medication on an empty stomach as this may make you nauseous. It is helpful to wean yourself off of the narcotic pain medication during the first week of surgery. You may try taking extra strength Tylenol in place of the narcotic. DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN, ADVIL, or ALEVE as these products increase the likelihood of bruising, swelling, and a nosebleed.
- If you do experience a nosebleed, keep your head elevated, place an ice pack across the top of the nose and eyes, place an ice cube in the mouth, and spray Afrin (Oxymetazoline) 3 sprays each nostril. Wait 15 minutes. If bleeding persists, spray the nose with Afrin again. Wait another 15 minutes. If bleeding persists, please contact Dr. Batniji at 949.650.8882.
- If you have to sneeze, do it with an open mouth.
- For the first week you may want to use a baby toothbrush.
- During the first week of recovery, you will feel like you have a bad cold and are very congested. This is all very normal and will get better each day.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 949.650.8882.